Library membership woots!

Bright, cheery sunshine certainly makes everything else in the world seem brighter and cheerier. On that note, it's mid December and the weather has been surprisingly pleasant - think 24 degrees Celsius last week, and right now it's still pretty warm (for December, that is). Checked the weather forecast for Christmas, and it's going to be 21 degrees Celsius! Every Malaysian's dream come true! =D

And to think that just a month ago, it hit -1 degree Celsius. Uncanny, eh? Apparently the South fluctuates pretty unpredictably when it comes to the weather. Warm winters aren't all that uncommon, and I'm hoping this one stays warm for a longer time. It'd be a wonderful Christmas gift to have Malaysian-like weather instead of the bitter, dry cold. =D

On another note, Jia Wern and I finally went to the library to get our library cards made! I wonder why I never thought of this earlier. Perhaps it's because e-books are cheap here and can be auto-delivered instantly. Or perhaps it's because we can get books at thrift stores for a little as 50 pence. Whatever it is, I didn't see the need for a library membership until my book club decided to do a book that I didn't have and didn't want to buy. A friend of mine suggested that I get it from the library, and that's where that idea was born. 

It turned out to be a really good idea. Did you know that the public library here allows you to borrow up to 50 materials (books, cds, etc) for 3 weeks (and renew another 5 times)?! And they even have electronic copies of books that you can borrow/download, i.e. you don't even need to GO there to get it! The best part is that the library is less than 10 minutes away from where we live. I remember that the DBKU library back in Kuching was always quite a trip downtown, so we only went there on alternate Saturdays. And we could only borrow, what, 3 or 5 books each? Jia Wern was so stoked that he got access to so many free books because science fiction and fantasy titles usually aren't the cheapest. I foresee many a Saturday spent at the library from now on. Poor couples love free stuff. =P

Anyway, library memberships are the BEST. Books are such an inexpensive entertainment option, and they have educational benefits too. For the reluctant traveller, the poor people, the struggling student - books are the way to go, so use your library!

Comments

  1. Whaaat!! I thought you had a library card already because you were in book club. But IKR. Libraries are AMAZING here! Hahahaha, funny you should mention DBKU I almost forgot about it. I used to go as a child but when we moved far away I could never return the books in time so I just stopped going. I feel like that's why Malaysians ranked so low on how many books per year we read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your assessment. The reading culture is just so much more promoted and supported here. But then again, I suspect that if you let Malaysians borrow 50 things at one time, they'll probably lose/never return half of it. XD

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Everyone who Speaks the Language can Teach It

Things I wish I had known before I started working