My 29th Birthday (Covid-19 edition)

So, it's that time of the year again where I treat myself and feel a little less guilty than usual. This year, though, it's a little different because of the pandemic. I can't have a party, I can't hang out with friends...wait, I don't do all that normally anyway. I guess it's about the same then. =P

The nice thing about having a mid-year birthday is that it often falls around (or in this case, smack dab in the middle of) Raya/school holidays.Thank You, God. At my age, the best gift is the gift of rest. Having said that, I do accept other gifts too. Here's a list of all the gifts I've gotten myself/ others have gotten me, in no particular order:

1. Durian. Mmmmmm.

2. Royce Au Lait chocolates

3. Cookies from Lavender Bakery

4. A 52L oven

5. A stand mixer

6. A casserole dish to be used in the oven

7. Gongcha pearl milk tea (30% sugar, less ice, coconut jelly topping) 

8. An Eggs Benedict lunch at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

9. My birthday falling on a public holiday so that I can spend quality time with Jia Wern 

10. Sweet messages from family/ friends/ work-friends on social media


Gifts on my to-get list:

11. A steak dinner

12. Brown sugar boba milk from Tiger Sugar

13. Tiramisu cake


I'm publishing this so that 1)you can take notes for next year (it's never too early), and 2) I have a reminder of this weird season that changed our way of life drastically. Not that it has, you know, affected my social life very much. Never had one to begin with. =P

On a more serious note, it has been a happy birthday in every sense of the word, and not just because of gifts. I am grateful for the blessing of family and friends, good food, great company and the hope I have in my God who has given His own Son for me. Amidst the uncertainty that the world is facing and the loss of security in earthly treasures due to the pandemic, there is still joy to be had. I'll sign off now with a bible verse that hopefully, will be my anchor of joy through the vicissitudes of life.

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior. (Habakkuk 3:17-18)

Comments

  1. hey! Im sorry im cotacting you here, I havent found any other way. I found your account by your ''not everyone who speaks the language can teach it'' i started this course too and i would be so glad if i could ask you some questions. you can respond me on my email sietyu@gmail.com my situation is, i need to finish this course in one month, is it possible? I have to do 72 hours of courses for my work, this one is 150, but it would work if they give certificate after every smaler part-course not the whole tesol program? let me know please

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Everyone who Speaks the Language can Teach It

Things I wish I had known before I started working

Library membership woots!