Professional musings.

Throughout the week, I get inspirations for blog posts through all the things that happen at school.

Then I wonder if it's safe/wise to blog about them, because, you know, what if someone from work/a parent eventually discovers my blog? I don't know if I'm ready to deal with the consequences of potentially controversial topics, especially if my job is on the line.

Not that anything I have to say is THAT controversial, imo, but who knows - one man's harmless comment may be another man's hate speech.

I've also found myself posting less on Facebook, because perhaps it's safer that young professionals are seen as not having either a personality or a personal life. To date, I haven't added any of my colleagues on Facebook. Should I keep my work friends and other friends separate? What's the wise move? I don't mean to sound suspicious of my colleagues, but mixing friendship and work is not always the best idea. I've only been at my workplace for less than 2 months, so I'm still figuring out the various personalities at my workplace and learning about the cliques and who's who.

At the same time, I have this mentality that if you don't add a person on Facebook, that means you don't trust them enough to be REAL friends. Hmm. And how long can I be guarded and neutral, with no opinions of my own? As a newbie, it's definitely wiser to keep your head down and observe quietly, but I can't do that forever. All real relationships require vulnerability. What even is the Christian thing to do? All men are made in God's image and we're supposed to love each other, but does that mean we're supposed to build deep relationships with, say, our bosses? Or should we just keep it strictly professional?

Hmm.


Comments

  1. As a general rule of thumb, I don't add colleagues as Facebook friends no matter how close we get. The basic idea is that if we develop a good friendship and I trust them enough to share the stuff I post on Facebook with them, I would very likely be able to show them pictures and tell them the story myself while I'm at work (during breaks). Thus, eliminating the need to add them to my social platform and the chance of accidentally exposing a side to a less than friendly co-worker who peer pressured you into adding them because you added so-and-so. As much as I feel we should allow ourselves to be vulnerable to build strong relationships, in the workplace, the business's core is driven by money and efficiency at the end of the day. My old boss used mine and Hannah's dire situation in the past against us (we'll fire you if you don't bend over backwards for us) rather than sympathize when we made ourselves more vulnerable (she was also a fellow Christian). Work relationships are always sticky. =/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Everyone who Speaks the Language can Teach It

Things I wish I had known before I started working

Library membership woots!