Dinners, dresses and damsels in distress.

As most of you know, I'm all about practicality, minimizing input and maximizing output, and getting the best value for money. As I've discovered recently, though, this trait of mine has its drawbacks. Case in point, as a proper grownup living in Malaysia, I have social obligations to fulfill, i.e. attending formal dinners. While they can be fun, they also go against every fibre in my practical being. Here are some of the challenges I've faced:

Problem #1 - I tend to have nothing to wear for fancy functions
As mentioned earlier, I'm practical. I like to buy items that I know I'll use at least 3 times a month to get my money's worth out of the purchase. I've always been a minimalist, even before I knew minimalism was a thing, way back before it was cool. In fact, I took minimalism so far that I probably gave it a bad name. =P Evening wear, unfortunately, go against everything that practicality advocates. You can't recycle them too much (because social media, ahem), you'd probably make use of them, maybe, 3 times a year (if you're lucky), and don't even get me started on the price tags. It's just ridiculous how much people charge for an extra metre of cloth! I don't mean to belittle fashion designers and the awesome work they do, making the world a more aesthetically-pleasing place for everyone. What I'm disgruntled about is the fact that a similar outfit which ends at the knee or mid-calf can cost triple the amount if it just goes all the way down to the ankles, hence making it a maxi dress and more "dinner-worthy". It's not like the quality, style or workmanship is THAT different!

[Disclaimer: Rant is based on the limited research (aka online browsing) that I've had to do for an upcoming wedding dinner. Rant is also influenced by my penny-pinching tendencies and upbringing. It's so convenient to blame your parents for everything. =P]

Problem #2 - Fancy outfits aren't user-friendly.
Dinner dresses are just that, for dinners. Appropriate outfits for fancy functions don't take into account having to park a distance away from the venue (because the parking bay is full, duh) and thus, actually having to WALK in those heels. As you can probably tell by my salty tone, I learned this the hard way. =P Did I mention that it rains in Malaysia pretty often too? Also, WHY is the dinner venue always so terribly cold? Like, what's the point of wearing a glamorous halter neck or strapless dress if you're going to cover it up with a shawl anyway?

Problem #3 - Speaking of which, you have to get a shawl.
In reference to Problem #2 subtopic 3, if you would prefer not to freeze to death, you'll probably have to get a shawl for each unique dinner dress you have. The annoying thing is, said shawl may or may not fit into your slim, sophisticated, tiny clutch. *insert unladylike grunt of frustration here* An alternative to the shawl is the boyfriend coat, which is exactly what it sounds like - your boyfriend or partner's coat. Get them to bring it to the dinner and wear it like a cape. It'll look chic, and black usually goes with everything. And you won't have to fit it into your pretty, sophisticated, useless not very useful clutch. =P

At the end of it all, dinners aren't half bad. They're great opportunities to dress up and look prettier than usual. Most people would have figured out these snags years ago, but I'm a late bloomer and a newcomer to the scene, hence the fuss. If you happen to be in need of some tips, here are some I've gathered from the two dinners I've been to:

1. Always pack band-aids/plasters in your clutch, especially if you're wearing those gorgeous heels for the first time.
2. If your clutch is big enough to stuff a pair of flats in, you may want to consider that, too. Otherwise, leave the flats in the car.
3. Get your husband/SO to drop you off at the lobby so you can avoid the walking and the rain.
4. On that note, always expect to park a distance away and that it will rain. It's all part of managing expectations. =P
5. Cardigans/ shawls/ jacket/ faux fur will come in handy - don't underestimate the air-conditioning.

If you're not a social klutz like me, thanks for reading to the end of this post. If you are, and these tips were helpful, forewarned is forearmed. =D 

Now I just need to assemble a decent evening wear collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Everyone who Speaks the Language can Teach It

Things I wish I had known before I started working

Library membership woots!